Saari Development

This blog is intended to be a log of my (Ali Rizvi's) professional ramblings as a software development engineer. I intend to add logs of my experience with different technologies, software, tech books/articles and related stuff from time to time. My intention is to have an archive for my personal use and public benefit.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Setting up MySQL

It seems like a trivial thing but I had never installed or administered my own database so MySQL was definitely a first for me.

The motivation was to start developing my first Rails app on my powerbook.

I will add some random notes here and clean them up later:

I installed MySQL 5.0 from binary installation for Mac OS X.

MySQL 5.0 HTML Documentation was helpful. I also downloaded the pdf version.

Installed directory: /user/local/mysql called MYSQLDIR hereon

Copied MYSQLDIR/support-files/my-medium.cnf to /etc/my.cnf

added these two lines in my ~/.profile

alias mysql=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
alias mysqladmin=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin

AliPower:/usr/local/mysql rizvi$ sudo scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
Password:
Installing all prepared tables
051119 0:25:47 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /usr/local/mysql-standard-5.0.15-osx10.4-powerpc/data/ is case insensitive
Fill help tables
051119 0:25:47 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /usr/local/mysql-standard-5.0.15-osx10.4-powerpc/data/ is case insensitive

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
./bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h AliPower.local password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

NOTE: If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run
the ./bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be
able to use the new GRANT command!

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd . ; ./bin/mysqld_safe &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench' directory:
cd sql-bench ; perl run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com
AliPower:/usr/local/mysql rizvi$

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home