Saari Development

This blog is intended to be a log of my (Ali Rizvi's) professional ramblings as a software development engineer. I intend to add logs of my experience with different technologies, software, tech books/articles and related stuff from time to time. My intention is to have an archive for my personal use and public benefit.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Ruby : Where are the gems on ubuntu 7.04

It took me some time to figure it out where the gems are installed on my ubuntu 7.04 linux machine so I thought I would save it here as a reminder. The ruby gems are stored here:

/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems


What I did to find this is to run gem install without sudo to see the error message:

me@desktop:/usr/lib/ruby/1.8$ gem install rails
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES)
Permission denied - /var/lib/gems/1.8/cache/rails-1.2.3.gem


The permission denied message gave me my answer. Who said error messages are not educational?

Hurray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home